Wednesday, September 07, 2005

And now, ladies and gentlemen, an excerpt...

... of a short story meant to be an integral part of a collection of short stories detailing the many flaws of humankind in modern society - one at a time...


MISTRESS OF SUBTERFUGE (SHORT STORY) - AN EXCERPT

It was still early in the afternoon when I decided that I was going to have some fun on that saturday night. I was going to barge my way into some party and drink the night away - free of charge. It was not going to cost me a dime, otherwise it would be no fun. I had nothing to lose and all to gain here, really... So I got up, put some lipstick on, dressed up minimally and out I went.

After a few short hours I spotted the place for me to drown my sorrows - this little suburban couple with their little suburban friends coming over... Perfect, gullible prey. The little wifey had left a note on the front door for the, presumably, numerous guests. It read ''come in - it's unlocked- we're in the backyard - Natalie''. How naive, Natalie. In this day and age, no matter how safe and quiet your neighborhood seems like, you don't leave your door unlocked like that, with such a colourful, eye-catching note to boot, tipping off any predator off the streets! I knew this yuppie couple was only renting the oversized place there; multiple bedrooms, front and back yards, all the commodities nearby... They were so well-set, they had to be paying a bundle each month for this place. One look and I wanted a tour inside. So I went in. I'd figure out a reason to be there on the spot, I was sure of it... It always thrills me to challenge myself like that - I am at my best when I'm spontaneous.

-''Hello? Anybody home?'' I said sarcastically, as I went in. I half-expected someone to emerge from the living room saying ''hey - who are you? You're not one of the guests!'' But nothing of the sort happened. I walked through the long hallway, past many rooms, until I reached the kitchen which gave access to the backyard. They were all there; the chubby inane hubby, the chubbier Moroccan best friend, his wide-eyed wife and newborn baby - mercifully not as pale as mom nor as dark as dad - the perfect mid-term compromise, thus! As "perfect" as it could get, that is... And there was, finally, the one who had left the note - naive Natalie, in the flesh! I just knew that I could fool her with anything I'd say. She was somewhat latino-looking without being it. Found out in no time at all that she had a set of grandparents who'd originated from Italy, Portugal or some place like it! As if I cared! She told me her life in no time too, flat out - and I could have yawned through the entire thing - but I didn't. Hadn't had dinner yet... or a case of beer! So I simply had to stick with it a while longer at least; it was a very small price to pay for free dinner and free booze... and maybe more! The inane hubby was the one, though, to stand up inquisitively and, on one hand, ask the pertinent questions and yet, on the other hand, give me all I needed to answer them... What an idiot!

-''You're a friend of...?'' he asked with a goofy, trusting smile...

-''Uh - my folks were friends with the owner of this place. I called him uncle Jose all the time...!'' I said, more to make conversation than anything else... But the simpleton bit at the bait - what's more he picked up the ball and ran with it!

-''Oh, so you're, like - his niece?!? Natalie - this is Mr. Merenguez's niece!'' he shouted to his wife inanely, before turning his attention back to me - all of it too... ''That is your name too, isn't it... Merenguez?'' now he asked - after telling out loud the name I knew not mere seconds prior to that! He was making my deception that much easier - and he hadn't a clue he was being so careless! What was I to answer to such an innocent, neophytical, profoundly careless as witless question, other than...

-''Yes - that is my name! Melody... Merenguez! Nice to meet you...?'' I tried to say without bursting into laughter, extending my hand to shake his - sweaty and chubby, just like I hated them.

-''Francis! Natalie and I just moved in here two years ago - your uncle is such a nice landlord... And we are having a sort-of party tonight celebrating the arrival of two babies - ours and the couple right there, good friends of ours... go and meet them!'' he said like a total idiot, repeating some learnt by heart speech. This was going to be, perhaps, a tad too easy, I thought to myself, forcibly smiling all the while through...


With this short story, I am inching closer, I do believe, to the sarcastic tone that made my ancient Greek scribe (though he wasn't of the "imported Greek populace" of Samosata) namesake of mine quite famous... Lucian employed it to mock the Olympian gods that were popular in his day - I mock evil people, most of whom are popular today; it all boils down to the same thing, don't you think?
His Dialogues and mine are quite similar and essentially the same - that is for sure! And both of us were strangers in our own land...
But all of that is for another blog...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Click for Marshfield, Vermont Forecast


Watch Videos:

  1. CARAVAN (Bond)
  2. EXPLOSIVE (Bond)
  3. FUEGO (Bond)
  4. VICTORY (Bond)
  5. VIVA (Bond)
  6. WINTERSUN (Bond)
Video Codes by VideoCodeZone.Com


Daily Cartoon provided by Bravenet Daily Cartoon provided by Bravenet.com


Free FAQ Database from Bravenet Free FAQ Database from Bravenet.com




Visitor Map
Create your own visitor map!


Disclaimer: to the best of my knowledge, the images that are used here,
simply to help the reader visualize the action or the main protagonist,
are in the public domain.
If anyone sees an image used here that belongs to them,
do not hesitate to e-mail me about it
and I will remove it, if proof of ownership is given.
Or... I will give credit where credit is due;
it is as simple as that!
Muito Obrigado!
Sempre Por O Melhor
+++